- 1 What size Knee Sleeve do I need
- 1.1 What are the benefits of knee sleeves?
- 1.2 Knee sleeves provide protection for those who are interested and participate in:
- 1.3 What are the benefits of the materials used to make knee sleeves?
- 1.4 How do you know when you need to purchase a pair of knee sleeves?
- 1.5 What knee sleeve do I need?
- 1.6 What are the brands of knee sleeves that are most popular?
- 1.7 What size knee sleeve do I need?
- 1.8 Knee Sleeve Size Guide Example
- 1.9 Why purchase a knee sleeve?
What size Knee Sleeve do I need
Protecting your body while working out is always of utmost importance. You are working out to make your body stronger, and in the process, if done too hard or done incorrectly, you can hurt yourself in the process. The key is to take steps to protect your body during your workouts. Doing weight lifting, power lifting and crossfit can all take a toll on your knees. Squats especially can be hard on your knees. That is why it is so important to protect them. You do not want to end up with a knee injury that will put you out of commission for a while, where you would have to suffer through the pain, and may even need surgery if you do enough damage.
There is a simple step you can take that can help you protect your knees while you are weight lifting. They are called knee sleeves. These knee sleeves give support to your knees while you work out. This protection can make the difference when you step wrong or lift too much but what size knee sleeve do I need?
What are the benefits of knee sleeves?
When looking for the right knee sleeves for you, or even whether or not you need to invest in a pair, here are some of the benefits to help you make that decision. These are what to look for in quality knee sleeves:
- Providing injury protection – Avoiding injury is essential when working out, and for actually all athletes. Knee sleeves prevent injuries by adding warmth and in turn reducing stiff muscles and injuries.
- Improving your performance – Knee sleeves can help you take your training to the next level. They can help improve performance by providing extra support and relieving strain. The warmth that the knee sleeves provide can boost the circulation to the joint and aid in healing and improving your performance.
- Providing faster rehabilitation – If you have sustained a knee injury, knee sleeves can help you recover quicker. You can use them to start moderate exercise to maintain your fitness levels without causing more damage to your knees.
Knee sleeves provide protection for those who are interested and participate in:
– Weight lifting
– Power lifting
– Gym exercise
– Fitness training
– Soccer / Football
There are three basic categories of knee sleeves and they are as follows:
- Open sleeves – have a hole at the front to reduce pressure through the kneecap and allow the knee to breathe. (click here)
- Closed sleeves – are complete and support the entire knee, allowing more heat retention.(click here)
- Inbuilt stabilizers – have additional stabilizers on the sides that provide extra support for knee ligaments.(click here)
What are the benefits of the materials used to make knee sleeves?
Most knee sleeves are made out of a material called neoprene. Neoprene is synthetic rubber that has proven to provide good chemical stability and flexibility over a wide temperature range. With the flexibility and stability that this material offers, it is no wonder that it is used to create the knee sleeves. This material helps the sleeves give you the support and stability you need to protect your knees from harm.
Other knee sleeves can be made out of cloth, which provides compression and some warmth. There are also knee wraps, which offer extreme compression, and typically worn for performance.
How do you know when you need to purchase a pair of knee sleeves?
Are you feeling discomfort or pain when you work out? If so, you need to figure out why. For example – If you are experiencing tendinitis, pain due to mobility issues, or if your movement patters off. These conditions are signs that you may be having issues with your knees. It is of course always recommended that you see your doctor. If there is a more serious underlying problem, then knee sleeves will only be a temporary solution.
As mentioned above, knee sleeves are an excellent way to help recover and prevent future harm. You may want to choose to utilize knee sleeves even before a problem arises, that way you are taking proactive steps to prevent harm.
Many athletes have noted that they have experienced less knee pain since incorporating knee sleeves into their normal workout routine.
What knee sleeve do I need?
There are a wide variety of knee sleeves available on the market. They are often sold as pairs, but can also be purchased individually. The price range is also wide. When trying to decide which knee sleeve is right for you, there are some things you will want to consider. Different knee sleeves will help with different uses. They also come in different lengths, and as mentioned above, different materials. There are different knee sleeve types that have extra support in different ways. These include – braces and supports, protective padding, therapy products, and rehabilitation products.
These are the things to take into consideration when choosing a knee sleeve that is right for you. Here is a list of questions you want to ask yourself when determining which knee sleeve will benefit you the most. You also may want to invest in more than one.
- What is your intended use for the knee sleeve? Some are made specifically for a certain type of athletic. Examples of categories are – contact sports, non-contact sports, daily use, impact protection, and post-op and rehabilitation.
- Do you already have a specific injury? Some knee sleeves are made to help rehabilitate certain injuries. Examples include – arthritis or osteoarthritis, swelling, inflammation, and instability, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial/lateral collateral, posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), knee sprain, patellofemoral pain or dislocated kneecap, jumper’s or runner’s knee, as well as many others. There are knee sleeves designed to help you recover faster and prevent further injury.
- Will you use yours for a sport? There are knee sleeves designed to withstand the pressures from the sports that you play. Whether baseball or softball, basketball, cheer or gymnastics, motocross, skiing, soccer, tennis or more, there is a knee sleeves that is designed to give you the specific support that you need to keep your knees protected.
- Do you not have an injury, but feel the symptoms and want to prevent any real harm? There are knee sleeves that can help you if you experience swelling and inflammation, numbness or tingling, or weakness in your knees.
- What level of support do you think you need? Knees sleeves offer mild, moderate and heavy support.
- Some knee sleeves offer support to different areas of your knee. Where you think you need the most support or are experiencing any discomfort? Areas of support include – the patella, above the patella, below the patella, inside your knee, outside your knee, or the back of your knee.
- As discussed above, there are different types of materials knee sleeves are made out of. Generally, neoprene is the most popular, but features such as elastic, breathable, and latex free options are also available. Which is your choice?
- What type of brace are you interested in? Everyone has their preference. It also may depend on other factors above, which may be more important. The options include the traditional sleeve, the wraparound, or the slip on.
What are the brands of knee sleeves that are most popular?
There are many brands of knee sleeves out there. Some focus more on sports, some on weightlifting. You can choose your preferred brand by using the guidance provided above. Some of the most popular brands and types of knee sleeves include:
What size knee sleeve do I need?
Getting the correct size of knee sleeve is very important to make sure that you have the correct, comfortable fit and to get the right amount of support. To get an accurate fit, measure around the knee in inches. It is said that if you fall between two sizes, you should move up to the larger size. The different brands have different size charts. So once you choose which brand or type of knee sleeve you want to go with, you should visit the brand’s website or find another source to determine what size you need to choose in that specific brand.
For example, ACE knee braces run from small to large, from twelve to twenty one inches. However, McDavid runs from small to double extra large, from twelve to twenty two inches. KASP provide a size guide for you to measure correctly. Do not assume when you are one size in one brand that it will be the same for another.
Knee Sleeve Size Guide Example
Why purchase a knee sleeve?
If you are big into exercise, sports, weight lifting, power lifting, or Crossfit, then you need to purchase a knee sleeve to prevent or protect from injury. There is no need to put your knees at risk when you are exercising. Knee sleeves offer compression, support, and warmth to your knees. You may want to start with a less expensive one, and then invest in a high quality knee sleeve that will last and be continually useful to you.