What are the Best Knee Sleeves for Power Lifting?
When you walk into a gym for the first time, in case you haven’t noticed, you will spot weight lifters with some sleeves on their knees. That’s what is known as a knee sleeve. They look quite flashy and stylish. Every athlete who has a belt also has a knee sleeve in their gym bag. Bet you are wondering what knee sleeves do, how to differentiate them from knee braces and how they work.
Knee compression sleeves are made of neoprene and tend to offer some support at the lower part of the squat or during the bench press, which allows for a heavier weight when training safely. They are designed for tendinitis which occurs as a result of heavy training almost all the time. Also they are good when it comes to training in a cold environment. In this case they provide warmth and continuous improved blood flow.
The best knee sleeves are those that can help you get rid of knee discomforts that often crop up like creaky joints that are caused by mobility issues e.g. tendinitis. They should also work to protect you from the injuries that may occur when exercising. There are a few to choose from for example:
- Cloth sleeves, they offer some warmth and a little compression;
- Neoprene sleeves offer some warmth, prevention from injury during and after exercise as well as mild compression;
- Knee wraps which offer extreme compression and are worn for performance purposes.
How to choose the best knee sleeves for power lifting
When it comes to knowing which knee sleeve will work best for you, there is a lot you need to consider. Knee joints are very important joints. They are responsible for your body’s mobility, therefore in case of a tragedy or damage, there are lot of things you might not be able to do or you might do them but with extreme limitations. Therefore, for power lifting you need to note that the knee sleeves you choose should not only protect your knees when doing athletics or lifting heavy weights but should be durable and also provide good value. They need to protect your knees from issues arising from squatting, dead lifting, and playing sports. Here are a few aspects to work with when choosing a knee sleeve.
- Compression aspect
For knee joints or any joint to be perfectly okay there has to be proper blood flow. Proper and improved blood flow can be achieved by one major aspect – compression of the knee by the knee sleeve. If the knee sleeve achieves proper compression then there is nothing you need to worry about. Simply put – compression plus blood flow is equal to better knee as well as better recovery.
Also when you have injured your knee, the joint cannot heal unless there is constant blood flow. A knee sleeve that achieves better compression is the best choice for you. Proper knee sleeves are equal to less pain and swelling during and after performance.
- Neoprene materials
What are neoprene materials? These are the materials that most of the knee sleeves are made of. They have an advantage of sliding through the knee to reduce pain. Not too sticky and tight, they give you an allowance to bend your knee and come up again without feeling any pain in between.
They limit patella movement within the joint. This will ensure that in the process of lifting the weights you do not accidentally dislocate it.
They offer more than just mechanical support for the joints. This advantage extends to the right amount of warmth that helps keep the joints from damage. Joints need not be exposed to cold temperatures especially if you are injured. The best way to cure your injured joint or prevent your joint from injury is to ensure that it is warm.
They can also increase the ability to feel the position of the joint in space as sensed by the central nervous system.
Knee sleeves that are made of neoprene materials can be good to use for hiking. It is easy to avoid muscle cramps at areas near the knee.
The only disadvantage is how to maintain them. Knee sleeves of neoprene materials are more expensive therefore their maintenance is a bit hard. After a few gym sessions they tend to smell or release the pungent smell. You can ensure that you clean the knee sleeves regularly or if you find it hard then you can dispose them and get new ones, depending on how deep your pocket is.
Advantages of having the best knee sleeves
As you may have seen, knee sleeves have an upper hand especially when they are the best ones.
Some of the advantages include:
Proper Blood flow
Knees are hinge joints that have ligaments with blood vessels. These ensure that one can move. They can foster movement of the knee in and out. In short, blood vessels keep the knees so alive that they can make the whole body susceptible to mobility. Best knee sleeves ensure that the blood flow within the knee helps you as an athlete to perform an up and down movement. Also blood vessels can help keep you warm.
When the tissue is elastic the contractions and relaxations are rhythmical. Therefore you do not need to worry that they might snap leaving an injury behind. The knees need to have such a concept, and this will only be achieved by a good knee sleeve.
Bet you have heard most of the time that every gym session you are expected to keep warm to protect your muscles or in case of any injury you are expected to keep warm so that you can recover real quick. Body temperature matters. Best knee sleeves ought to be the ones that can keep you warm or offer you warmth.
A good knee sleeve is one which increases the rate at which you recover. They should be able to foster quick recovery as well as prevent you from further injury. From knee sleeves you can actually get a chance to continue with your normal exercise without going through so much pain in the event.
Best Knee sleeves concepts – Factors to considers when shopping for a pair
- The best knee sleeves for power lifting should have thicker fabric so that they can offer more support without tearing. You should avoid the bulky ones or heavily elasticized ones. These tend to be a bit uncomfortable making it hard for you to actually continue with exercise. When doing heavy squatting the best knee sleeves are expected to prevent your chances of your quadriceps tendons from detaching or even tearing.
- They should offer pain management in case you have been injured earlier as well as recovery after training. They should also work to increase performance. Research done on the knee sleeves show that when you are doing heavy lifting with them you can drop down and come back faster in an eccentric phase. You go up to 45% faster going down, and 20% faster going up.
- When it comes to value, best knee sleeves are 7mm thick. Most of them have anatomical shape to support, fit and increase performance of an athlete. As usual, best knee sleeves contain neoprene materials. They meet stringent needs of lifters.
- Most of the times you find that an athlete has an injury and at the same time has to continue with practice so, for them who happen to have these old injuries, they are covered. They can go for the ergonomic sleeve that has been designed for better fit. This will help them nurse their injuries by helping with the joint and muscle pain as well as speeding up the recovery process. So if you are looking to exercise later even after an injury then this will work best for you.
- As covered earlier, a good knee sleeve is the one that has an anti-slip. Why is this so? You find that most of the time during the up and down movement the sleeves might roll down or slide down. An anti-slip knee sleeve ensures that, that does not happen.
Now you know what to choose and what to work with, you should also remember a few key things. Knee sleeves are really not that necessary when you are new to power lifting or starting at all but if you progress, then it means that there is more power lifting involved and that you will be prone to knee injury if you are not careful. Therefore, when your knee is left vulnerable and weak it is indeed at a great risk of damage. Investing on proper knee sleeves will ensure that your risks are dealt with very well. Purchase a good pair of knee sleeves today and work out safely.